Publications and projects from 2005-
Google Citations Profile. h-index: 17 (i.e., 17 papers have at least 17 citations).
See separate link for reports, theses etc. from 1998-2005. Homepage at Menon Economics and NINA.
Peer reviewed papers and book chapters (published or in process):
24. Kaltenborn, B.P., J.D.C. Linnell, E. G. Baggethun, H. Lindhjem, J. Thomassen and K. Chan (2017) "Ecosystem services anc cultural values as building blocks for 'The good life". A case study in the community of Røst, Lofoten Islands, Norway". Forthcoming in Ecological Economics.
23. Navrud, S., H. Lindhjem and K. Magnussen (2017) "Valuing marine ecosystem services loss from oil spills for use in cost-benefit analysis of preventive measures. Forthcoming in Nunes. P. et al. (eds.) Handbook on the economics and management for the sustainable oceans. Edward Elgar.
22. Kaltenborn, B.P., J.D.C. Linnell, J. Thomassen and H. Lindhjem (2017) "Complacency or resilience? Perceptions of environmental and social change in Lofoten and Vesterålen in Northern Norway. Ocean and Coastal Management 138: 29-37.
21. Bredin, Y., H. Lindhjem, J. van Dijk and J.D.C. Linnell (2015) "Mapping value plurality towards ecosystem services in the case of Norwegian wildlife management". Ecological Economics 118: 198-206.
20. Lindhjem, H. and S. Navrud (2015) "Reliability of meta-analytic benefit transfers of international value of statistical life estimates: Tests and illustrations". In Johnston, R., J. Rolfe, R. Rosenberger and R. Brouwer (eds) Benefit Transfer of Environmental and Resource Values: A Handbook for Researchers and Practitioners. The Economics of Non-Market Goods and Resources 14. Springer, pp 441-464.
19. Mitani, Y. and H. Lindhjem (2015) "Forest owners' participation in voluntary biodiversity conservation in Norway: What does it take to forego forestry for eternity?". Paper part funded by the EU-funded POLICYMIX project. Presented at UK Network of Environmental Economists: Applied Environmental Economics Conference 15. January 2013. Land Economics. 91(2): 235-251.
18. Lindhjem, H. and T. H. Tuan (2015). "Benefit transfer of nature conservation values in Asia and Oceania based on meta-analysis: Data heterogeneity and reliability issues". In Managi, S. (ed) The Routledge Handbook of environmental economics in Asia, Routledge, New York, USA, pp 349-368. Based on an updated and revised version of the working paper: "Meta-analysis of nature conservation values in Asia & Oceania: Data heterogeneity and benefit transfer issues".
17. Lindhjem, H ., K. Grimsrud, S. Navrud and S. O. Kolle (2015) "The Social Benefits and Costs of Preserving Forest Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services". Paper presented by Ståle Navrud at the workshop "Forest Sector Modelling and Mulitfunctionality in Forests" at INRA, Nancy, France 31. May - 1. June. Special issue of Journal of Environmental Economics and Policy 4(2): 202-222.
16. Lindhjem, H., K. Magnussen and S. Navrud (2014) "Valuation of welfare loss from oil spills from ships: From storm to calmer waters" (In Norwegian: "Verdsetting av velferdstap ved oljeutslipp fra skip: Fra storm til smulere farvann"), Samfunnsøkonomen 6: 25-38, the peer review journal of the Norwegian Association of Economists.
15. Sparrevik, M., H. Lindhjem, V. Andria, A. M. Fet and G. Cornelissen (2014) "Environmental and socio-economic impacts of utilizing waste for biochar in rural areas in Indonesia - a systems perspective". Environmental Science & Technology 48(9):4664-4671.
14. Barton, D. and H. Lindhjem (2012-13) "Nature's flood protection - what is the value of ecosystem services from a watershed?" (In Norwegian). Published in Special Issue on Natural Capital and Ecosystem services of Samfunnsøkonomen 4(127): 44-54, the peer review Journal of the Norwegian Economics Association. May, 2013.
13. Lindhjem, H. and Y. Mitani (2011-12) "Forest owners’ willingness to accept compensation for voluntary conservation: A contingent valuation approach". Journal of Forest Economics 18(4): 290-302. Special Issue on "Forest Non-Market Valuation". Editors: Giovanni Signorello, Jürgen Meyerhoff and Richard Moloney. Paper part funded by the POLICYMIX project - also issued in the POLICYMIX working paper series. Revised version submitted 26. May 2012.
12. Lindhjem, H. and S. Pedersen (2011-2012) "Should publicly funded postal services be reduced? A cost-benefit analysis of the universal service obligation in Norway". Working paper 2. November 2011. Published in Review of Network Economics:Vol. 11: Iss. 2, Article 3, June 2012.
11. Lindhjem, H.and T. H. Tuan (2011) "Valuation of species and nature conservation in Asia and Oceania: A meta-analysis". Environmental Economics and Policy Studies 14(1): 1-22. Based on the working paper: "Meta-analysis of nature conservation values in Asia & Oceania: Data heterogeneity and benefit transfer issues". First draft 10. March 2008. Presented by Tuan at EAERE June 2009, Amsterdam.
10. Lindhjem, H. and S. Navrud (2011) "Using Internet in Stated Preference Surveys: A review and comparison of survey modes". Review paper invited by editors Jason Shogren, Henk Folmer and Zac Rolnik for the International Review of Environmental and Resource Economics 5(4): 309-351, October 2011. Download published version here.
9. Lindhjem, H. , S. Navrud, N-A Braathen and V. Biausque (2011) "Valuing mortality risk reductions from environmental, transport and health policies: A global meta-analysis of stated preference studies". Published in Special Series on Risk Regulation (Part 2): Risk Assessment and Economic Analysis, Risk Analysis 31(9): 1381-1407, September 2011.
8. Lindhjem , H. and S. Navrud (2011) "Are Internet surveys an alternative to face-to-face interviews in contingent valuation?". Ecological Economics 70(9): 1628-1637, 15 July 2011. Based on original working paper version: "Internet CV surveys - a cheap, fast way to get large samples of biased values?"First draft April 28 2008. Presented at the World Congress of Environmental and Resource Economists, Montreal, Canada, 2. July 2010 under the title: "Benefits of biodiversity protection: Comparing in-person and internet CV survey modes”.
7. Vennemo, H., K. Aunan, H. Lindhjem and H. M Seip (2008) "Environmental pollution in China: Status and trends". Invited paper. Review of Environmental Economics and Policy 3(1): 1-22, Summer, 2009. Symposium: China’s Environment. Edited by Dale Jorgenson.
6. Lindhjem , H. and S. Navrud (2008) "Asking for Individual or Household Willingness to Pay for Environmental Goods? Implication for aggregate welfare measures". Early version presented at the Environmental and Resource Economics Early-Career Researcher Workshop, 12-13 November 2007, Charles Sturt University, Bathurst, New South Wales, Australia. Also presented at the 16th Annual Conference of the European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, Gothenburg, Sweden, 25 - 28 June 2008. Environmental and Resource Economics 43(1): 11-29, 2009. Special Issue: Household and environmental economics. Guest edited by Alistair Munro.
[Reprint as Chapter 17in the book by Willis, K. G. and G. Garrod (eds) (2012) Valuing Environment and Natural Resources: Volume I, Edward Elgar, 440 pp].
5. Bartczak, A., H. Lindhjem, S. Navrud, M. Zandersen and T. Zylicz (2007) "Valuing forest recreation on the national level in a transition economy: The case of Poland". Working paper presented by Anna Bartczak at the 16th Annual Conference of the European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, Gothenburg, Sweden, 25 - 28 June 2008. Published in Forest Policy and Economics 10(7-8): 467-472, October 2008.
4. Lindhjem , H . and S. Navrud (2007) "How Reliable are Meta-Analyses for International Benefit Transfers?" Working paper presented at Department of Economics and Resource Management, Norwegian University of Life Sciences, 30. March 2007, at the annual conferences of European Association of Environmental and Resource Economics, Thessaloniki 30.June 2007 & US Society for Ecological Economics, New York, 26. June 2007. Also presented by StåleNavrud at the Department of Economics and International Development, University of Bath 28. July 2008, and at Cost Action E45: European Forest Externalities (EUROFOREX) meeting in Cork, Ireland 22.-24. September 2008. Ecological Economics 66(2-3): 425-435, 15 June 2008. Google Scholar citations > 50.
3. Lindhjem, H. (2006) "20 years of stated preference valuation of non-timber benefits from Fennoscandian forests: A meta-analysis". Working Paper presented at the 13th Ulvön Conference on Environmental Economics, 19.-21. June 2006, Sweden.Also invited presentations at the 1st Workshop of forest valuation experiences in Europe, Cost Action E45: European Forest Externalities (EUROFOREX), Catania, Italy 18-19.November 2006, and at the Aarhus Colloquium for Meta-Analysis in Economics, Sønderborg, Denmark, September 27-30. 2007. Journal of Forest Economics 12(4):251-277, 12 February 2007. Google citations > 50. Most cited paper in Journal of Forest Economics for the last five years. See screenshot here.
2. Lindhjem , H, T. Hu, Z. Ma, J. M. Skjelvik, G. Song, H. Vennemo, J. Wu and S. Zhang (2006) "Environmental Economic Impact Assessment in China: Problems and Prospects". ECON Working Paper May 2006. Presented at the annual conference of the International Association of Impact Assessment (IAIA) in Stavanger, Norway, 23.-26. May 2006. Environmental Impact Assessment Review 27(1): 1-25, January 2007.
Peer-review publications (working papers submitted or in preparation):
22. Lindhjem, H. K. Magnussen and S. Navrud (2015-16) "Valuation of oil spills in an ecosystem service context: Test-retest of preference stability (Working title)". In preparation for Marine Policy or Marine Resource Economics. In preparation.
23. Lindhjem, H. and R. Brey (2015-16) "Explaining scope (in)sensitivity in stated preference valuation of forest conservation: Why more may not be (much) better” (Working Title). Supported by the EU COST E45, EUROFOREX-project and the EU project POLICYMIX. Target journal Environmental and Resource Economics or Ecological Economics. In preparation.
24. Lindhjem, H. and Y. Mitani (2015-16) "Participation in voluntary forest conservation schemes: A review and meta-analysis" (Working title). In preparation.
Other research publications (proceedings, editorials, research reports etc):
Magnussen, K., I. Seifert-Dähn, R. Reinvang and H. Lindhjem (2015) "How to assess costs and benefits of achieving good ecological status or potential in urban water courses?" Published in Water 1: 65-75, the peer review journal of the Norwegian Water Association.
Magnussen, K., H. Lindhjem and S. Navrud (2014) "Valuation of damages on marine ecosystem services from oil spills" (In Norwegian). Published in Water, 1(49): 36-46, the peer review journal of the Norwegian Water Association.
Romstad, E., M. Boman and H. Lindhjem (2012) “Low cost approaches for managing biological diversity in Nordic forests: The applicability of procurement auctions”. Peer reviewed report to the expert group on environmental studies, Swedish Ministry of Finance. Published on their website.
Editorial, "Norwegian agricultural policy - hope for change?" (In Norwegian), Published in Samfunnsøkonomen ("The Economist"), 7(126):3, October 2012. Journal of the Norwegian Economics Association.
Lindhjem, H ., S. Navrud and N-A. Braathen (2012) "Mortality Risk Valuation in Environment, Health and Transport Policies". Published as an OECD book. Available (for purchase) at this website. See also OECD webpage for meta-analysis dataset and accompanying papers/reports.
Editorial, "Wrong priorities in climate and environmental policy" (In Norwegian), Published in Samfunnsøkonomen ("The Economist"), 126(1), February 2012. Journal of the Norwegian Economics Association.
Barton, D, H. Lindhjem , K. Magnussen and S. Holen (2012) "Valuation of Ecosystem Services From Nordic Watersheds - from awareness raising to policy support? (VALUESHED)". Report to the Nordic Council of Ministers, December 2011.
Vatn, A., D. Barton, H. Lindhjem and S. Movik (2011) "Can markets protect biodiversity? A review of different financial mechanisms". Noragric Report No. 60. Norwegian University of Life Sciences and NINA. Funded by NORAD, May 2011 as input to the process of the UN Convention of Biological Diversity. Also published as a NORAD report with foreword by department director Bente Herstad.
Lindhjem, H. , E. J. Solberg, J. Linnell and K. Skogen (2010) "Potential effects of carnivore proof fencing for recreation and wild deer" (In Norwegian, abstract in English) – NINA Rapport 611. 29s.
Navrud, S. and H. Lindhjem (2010-11) "Valuing Mortality Risk Reductions in Regulatory Analysis of Environmental, Health and Transport Policies: Policy Implications". PIMAVE - Policy implications of meta-analysis of value of statistical life estimates OECD project report.
Lindhjem, H. , V. Biausque, S. Navrud and N-A Braathen (2010) "Meta-analysis of stated preference VSL studies: Further model sensitivity and benefit transfer issues". PIMAVE - Policy implications of meta-analysis of value of statistical life estimates OECD project. OECD report ENV/EPOC/WPNEP(2010)10/FINAL.
Braathen, N. A., H. Lindhjem and S. Navrud (2008-2010) "Valuing lives saved through environmental, transport and health policies: A Meta-analysis of stated preference studies". Published as OECD Report.ENV/EPOC/WPNEP(2008)10. Working paper version presented at the conference "Managing the Social Impacts of Change from a Risk Perspective", 15.-17. April 2009 in Beijing, China.Presented by Braathen at EAERE June 2009, Amsterdam.
Econ Poyry & Warsaw Ecological Economics Centre (eds) (2009) Proceedings from the international seminar:"Countries and forests in transition: Research seminar on the benefits of multi-functional forest policy" (10 meg), University of Warsaw, Poland, 20-21. February 2009. Financed by the Polish-Norwegian Research Fund. Co-organisers of conference: Anna Bartczak (WEEC) & HenrikLindhjem (Econ Poyry)
Lindhjem , H. (2008) "Methodological issues in meta-analysis, benefit transfer and environmental valuation", Ph.D. Thesis. 2008:18. Department of Economics and Resource Management, Norwegian University of Life Sciences.
Bartczak, A, H. Lindhjem and A. Stenger (2008) "Review of benefit transfer studies in the forest context". Published in Scandinavian Forest Economics No. 42., Bergseng, E., G. Delbeck and H. F. Hoen (eds) (2009) Proceedings of the Biennial Meeting of the Scandinavian Society of Forest Economics, Lom, Norway, 6th – 9th April, 2008: pp 276-305.
Hansen, S., H. Lindhjem and H. Vennemo (2004) "On payments to poor stakeholders for sustainable use of protected areas". Book chapter in Xie Yan, Wang Sung and Peter Schei (ed.) China's Protected Areas, Beijing, Tsinghua University Press, 604p (Chinese and English versions).
Recent policy analysis and consultancy reports:
For updated list of policy analysis reports and full text version at Vista, see personal homepage there.
Magnussen, K., H. Lindhjem, C. Armstrong, H. Bergland, E. Mikkelsen, R. Reinvang og J. M. Skjelvik (2013) "Ecosystem services in the Barents Sea and Lofoten: Social values and trade-offs". Vista Report
Magnussen, K., H. Lindhjem and J. M. Skjelvik (2012) "Costs of marine degradation in the North Sea and Skagerrak" (in Norwegian), Vista Report 2012/38. Report for the public committee on the value of ecosystem services in Norway.
Lindhjem, H. and M. D. Sørheim (2012) "Urban ecosystem services in Norway: Status, trends, value and knowledge gaps" (In Norwegian), Vista Report 2012/37. Report for the public committee on the value of ecosystem services in Norway.
Lindhjem, H. and K. Magnussen (2012) "The value of Norwegian forest ecosystem services" (in Norwegian), NINA Report 894. Report for the public committee on the value of ecosystem services in Norway.
Pedersen, S., H. Lindhjem and I. Rasmussen (2012) "Benefits and costs of high speed broadband in rural Norway" (in Norwegian). Report for the Ministry of Local Government and Regional Development.
Dalen, D. M., M. Hoel and S. Strøm, with H. Lindhjem (2011) "Valuation of ecosystem services" (in Norwegian). Report to the Norwegian Petroleum Directorate. Vista Report 2012/08.
Pedersen, S., H. Lindhjem and K. Ibenholt (2011) "Cost benefit analysis of Austevoll fishery harbour" (in Norwegian). Report to the Norwegian Coastal Administration ("Kystverket"). Vista report.
Magnussen, K., H. Lindhjem and S. Navrud (2012) "How to handle impacts on marine ecosystem services in economic analysis?" (in Norwegian). Report to the Norwegian Coastal Administration ("Kystverket"). Vista report 2012/09.
Econ Pöyry and Vista (2010) "Public needs for universal postal services in Norway" (In Norwegian). Norwegian Post and Telecommunications Authority.
Ibenholt, K., H. Lindhjem , J. M. Skjelvik, I. Rasmussen, H. Vennemo and H. Dybdahl (2010) "Cost-benefit analysis of petroleum development in the Barentshavet/Lofoten Sea" (In Norwegian), for the an inter-Ministerial group lead by the Norwegian Ministry of Environment. Vista rapport 10/2010. Also published on the Ministry of Environment's webpages.
Lindhjem, H. , K. G. Bråten , A. Gleinsvik and I. Aronsen (2009/10) "Experiences with benefit sharing: Issues and options for REDD-plus". Report for International Union for Conservation of Nature for discussion at COP 15, Copenhagen December, 2009. Published as Econ Pöyry and Vista report R-2010-018. Access IUCN website for the publication here. Short summary brochure.
Aronsen, I. and H. Lindhjem (2010) "Experiences with forest benefit sharing and issues for REDD-plus in Cameroon". Poyry and Vista report Pöyry and Vista report R-2010-09.
Aronsen, I., H. Lindhjem and K. G. Bråten (2010) "Experiences with forest benefit sharing and issues for REDD-plus in Ghana". Pöyry and Vista report R-2010-010.
Aronsen, I. and H. Lindhjem (2010) "Experiences with forest benefit sharing and issues for REDD-plus in Guatemala". Pöyry and Vista report R-2010-011.
Zandersen, M., K. G. Bråten and H. Lindhjem (2009) "Payment for and Management of Ecosystem Services: Issues and Options in the Nordic Context". Nordic Council of Ministers. TemaNord 2009:571.
Lindhjem, H. , J. M. Skjelvik, A. Eriksson, T. Fitch and L-L. P Hansen (2009) "The Use of Economic Instruments in Nordic Environmental Policy 2006-2009". Nordic Council of Ministers. TemaNord 2009:578.
Kjørven, O. and H. Lindhjem (2002) "Strategic Environmental Assessment in World Bank Operations: Experience to date and Future potential", Environmental Strategy Papers. Strategy Series Number 4, The World Bank Environment Department. Also available from these links at the World Bank (1) and (2) (scanned version).Key document in the World Bank efforts to use Strategic Environmental Assessment in its operations.
Vennemo, H, N. Heldal, H. Lindhjem and S. Strøm (2013) “Comment to the public committee report NOU 2012: 16 on economic analysis”, Published in Samfunnsøkonomen 1: 59-66.
Bruvoll, A. and H. Lindhjem (2012) "Subsidised damage to the environment" (In Norwegian), Fjell og Vidde, November 2012. The journal of the Norwegian Trekking Association (DNT).
Lindhjem, H. , S. Pedersen and I. Rasmussen (2012) "Avoid costly fiber investments" (In Norwegian). Innlegg. Dagens Næringsliv, 22. May, 2012.
Lindhjem, H. , S. Pedersen and I. Rasmussen (2012) "Low benefits of high speed broadband" (In Norwegian). Innlegg. Dagens Næringsliv, 7. May, 2012.
Lindhjem, H. (2010) "Sharing monetary benefits from forests - conflict or cooperation?"Aborvitae (the newsletter of International Union for the Conservation of Nature), Issue 41, page 7, June, 2010.
Vennemo, H. K. Aunan, H. Lindhjem and H. M Seip (2007) "Thousands die from pollution in China" ("Tusener dør av forurensing i Kina"). Kronikk.Dagbladet 1.mars 2007.
Unpublished working papers:
Lindhjem , H. and E. Romstad (2010-11) "Eliciting forest owner compensation levels for biodiversity protection: A comparison of two mechanisms". Abstract submitted to WFC 2009 – World Forestry Congress, Argentina 18-25 October 2009. Presented at the conference "Countries and forests in transition: Research seminar on the benefits of multi-functional forest policy". 20-21. February 2009, at the Faculty of Economic Sciences, Warsaw University. Presentation published in Conference Proceedings (10 meg).
Aunan, K., M. Cropper, G. Xiaomin, S. A. Hoffman, A. Krupnick, H. Lindhjem, B. Larsen, J. Nygård, H-M Seip, T. S. Rabie, H. Vennemo, Y. Fang, and Z. Guomei, (2007) "The Cost of Air and Water Pollution in China". Draft August/September 2007.
Lindhjem , H. (2007) "Contracts for Coral Reef Conservation". Draft February 2007.
Bowitz, E. and H. Lindhjem (2001) Environmental costs, systematic risk and energy investment priorities, ECON Working Paper. Norwegian Research Council.RAMBU.Research Project.
Lindhjem , H. (2005) Review of environmental unit prices for air and water pollution - with applications to China, ECON Working Paper. Manuscript December 2004
Some recent research projects & proposals (see CV for updated list)
"Cost-benefit analysis of the application of biochar in soils in Asia - a win-win for climate and agriculture?" with Norwegian Geotechnical Institute (NGI) (lead). Funded by the Norwegian Research Council.
"VALUESHEDS - Valuation of Ecosystem Services from Nordic Watersheds", Nordic Council of Ministers project (2011). In cooperation with NIVA and SWECO.
"POLICYMIX - Assessing the role of economic instruments in policy mixes for biodiversity conservation and ecosystem services provision. 4 year EU research project (2010-2014) coordintated by Norwegian Institute for Nature Research (NINA). In cooperation with institutions in Europe and Latin America.
"PIMAVE - Policy implications of meta-analysis of value of statistical life estimates". OECD project with Stale Navrud, Nils Axel Braathen and V. Biausque.
"Scaling up Voices for influencing post 2012 climate change regime: Shaping pro-poor REDD options", Proposal with the International Union for the Conservation of Nature (Consuelo Espinosa, Stewart Maginnis) and The Forest Dialogue (Gary Dunning, Yale University). May 2009-May 2011. Awarded grant for 2009 by NORAD.
"Payment and management of ecosystem services", Nordic Council of Ministers, January 2009-October 2009, With Joshua Bishop (Chief economist, IUCN) and Nick Hanley (Professor, University of Sterling).
"Economic instruments in environmental policy in the Nordic countries 2006-2009”, Nordic Council of Ministers October 2008 – October 2009, Ongoing project with Professor Jon Strand (University of Oslo and the World Bank), Anni H. Huhtala (Professor of Environmental Economics, MTT Economic Research, Finland) and Nils Axel Braathen (OECD).
"Controlling benthic release of phosphorus in different Baltic Sea scales", 3 year research project with several Nordic institutions. Contributions through valuation of water quality improvements through benefit transfer and a hedonic pricing study. Swedish Environmental Protection Agency.2009-2011.
"Managing biological diversity in Nordic forests", The Swedish Expert Group on environmental studies. With EirikRomstad and MattiasBoman. August 2008 – April 2008.
"Meta-analysis of estimates of the value of a statistical life", OECD (Nils Axel Braathen). With StåleNavrud. April 2008 - August 2009.
"Valuation of environment-related health impacts for children (VERHI) ", OECD (Nick Johnstone). With StåleNavrud, Anna Alberini, Ian Bateman, Milan Scasny et al. December 2008 – June 2009.
"Research seminar on the benefits of efficient multi-functional forest policy", Co-organised with Anna Bartczak, MikolajCzajkowski, and ThomaszZylicz. Program.Funded by the Polish-Norwegian research fund. Proceedings published (see above).
"Forests as a Public Good: Valuing Social and Environmental Benefits of Forests in Poland to Improve Effectiveness of Management", with Warsaw University (Anna Bartczak, MikolajCzajkowski, ThomaszZylicz and others), Econ Pöyry (HaakonVennemo, Marianne Zandersen et. al), Norwegian University of Life Sciences (StåleNavrud) and others. Accepted for funding by the EEA Financial Mechanism supporting project cooperation between Poland and Norway. July 2008 - April 2011. Project website.
"Ecosystem functions in forests". Research project combining natural and social sciences as a basis for better management of biodiversity.Conducting national survey of forest owners’ attitudes and willingness to accept compensation for participating in auctions to provide forests for biodiversity conservation.With Norwegian University of Life Sciences. Funded by Norwegian Research Council and Småforsk.
"Non-timber forest goods and local economic development: An untapped potential?" Norwegian Research Council project, 2006-2008. With ECON and others.
"Capacity building for reducing mercury pollution in China: Case study in Guizhou province" NORAD/MFA funded project, 2006-2009, With ECON, NIVA and others.
"Willingness to Pay for biodiversity in Asia: benefit transfer and meta-analysis". With Tuan H. Tran. Grant by Environment and Economy Programme for Southeast Asia (EEPSEA).
"Governance analysis of biodiversity regulation in China: Toward more effective management". Proposal to the EU-China Biodiversity Programme: Accepted. With ECON, University of Cambridge and others.
Other research and consultancy publications 1998-2005 (a selection)
2005 International experiences with environmental accounting. Report to Chinese SEPA.
2005 Developing guidelines for economic evaluation in EIA in China, NORAD. ECON report 42/05
2004 Hu Tao, Tian Chenxiu, Li Liping and Ren Yong (PRCEE), Haakon Vennemo, Henrik Lindhjem (ECON), Hans Martin Seip and Kristin Aunan (CICERO/University of Oslo), and Fang Jinghua (Taiyuan University of Technology): Climate policy Implications of co-benefits. Draft report, February 2004. Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs
2004Evaluation of green taxes in Norway, Policy analysis for the Ministry of Environment, ECON report 123/04 (In Norwegian).
2004 Climate Policies and industry competition. Policy analysis for the Ministry of Environment (in cooperation with CICERO). CICERO Report 08/2004 (In Norwegian)
2003 Lindhjem, H., A. Hurd and J. Ruitenbeek. Sustainable Financing of Marine Protected Areas in Zanzibar. Technical background study to Ruitenbeek, J., I. Hewawasam and M. Ngoile (eds) (2005) Blueprint 2050: Sustaining the Marine Environment in Mainland Tanzania and Zanzibar. The World Bank.
2003 Hurd, A., H. Lindhjem and J. Ruitenbeek. Sustainable Financing of Marine Protected Areas in Tanzania. Technical background study to Ruitenbeek, J., I. Hewawasam and M. Ngoile (eds) (2005) Blueprint 2050: Sustaining the Marine Environment in Mainland Tanzania and Zanzibar. The World Bank.
2003 Evaluation of the Norwegian Development Policy Administration. Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. ECON Report 19/03
2002 Environmental Impact Assessment of the Nyagak mini-hydro station in Arua, Nort Western Uganda. NORAD. ECON Report. In cooperation with Environmental Management Associates.
2002 Lindhjem, H. and M. Davis. Rural electrification in Uganda. Investors wanted! Article in ECON Nytt Dec 2002, page 4.
2002 Environmental Impact Assessment of the Olewa mini-hydro station in North Western Uganda. NORAD. ECON report. In cooperation with Environmental Management Associates.
2002 Environmental Impact Assessment of the Bondo-Nebbi electricity transmission line in North Western Uganda.NORAD. ECON Report. In cooperation with Environmental Management Associates.
2002 A comparison of life cycle analysis and cost benefit analysis. With the research institute Ostfoldforskning. Research paper for the Norwegian Research Council programme Sustainable production and consumption. ECON Memo 7/02 (In Norwegian)
2001 Environmental impacts of transport service trade liberalisation under GATS. Strategic Environmental Assessment for the Ministry of Trade and Commerce. ECON Memo 92/01. (In Norwegian)
2001 Risk & Discount Rate for Environmental Investments. Research report for the Norwegian Ministry of Environment. ECON Report 8/01. (In Norwegian)
2001 Natural Disaster Prevention in Norway. Policy analysis for The Norwegian Government Body for Agricultural Management. ECON report 95/01. (In Norwegian)
2001 Green energy taxation. Research report for the Norwegian Petroleum Institute. ECON Report 69/01 (In Norwegian)
2001 Risk and Discount Rates in Public Transport Projects. Policy Analysis for The Norwegian Department of Transport and Communications. ECON Report 93/01. (In Norwegian)
2001 UN Biodiversity Convention and Norwegian Aid. Policy analysis for the Auditor General (Riksrevisjonen) in Norway. ECON Memo (In Norwegian)
2001 Sustainable Development in the Electric Utility Industry. Policy analysis for the World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD). ECON Report 61/01. Core content of the report Sustainability in the electricity utility sector, published by the WBCSD 19. April 2002.
2000 Issues and Options in Technology Transfer. Policy analysis for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. ECON Report 53/00.
2000 Status and Options for Baseline Calculations. Policy analysis for the Norwegian Ministry of Environment. ECON Report 17/00.
2000 Municipality waste collection costs. Analysis project for the company REKOM. ECON Report 38/00. (In Norwegian)
1999 Guangzhou Air Quality Management Plan, China. Funded by NORAD. ECON report 9/00.
1999 Economic growth and transport growth in the Netherlands. Policy Analysis for Norwegian Ministry of Environment. ECON Memo 78/99.
1999 Conservation and Livelihoods in the Wakatobi Marine National Park. Is there a role for Ecotourism? Unpublished Master Thesis for M.Phil. Degree at the University of Cambridge. Front page, contents, main report.
1998 Willingness to pay for improved water quality in lake Steinsfjorden. A contingent valuation study. Unpublished Master Thesis in Economics, University of Oslo (In Norwegian). Questionnaire (Norwegian)
2005 Review of environmental unit prices for air and water pollution -- with applications to China, Manuscript December 2004 (draft manuscript)
2001 Environmental costs, systematic risk and energy investment priorities, ECON Working Paper (co-authored with E. Bowitz). RAMBU. Research Project
Conference PresentationS (A SELECTION - FOR RECENT ONES, SEE CV)
2003 Natural disaster management, vulnerability and adaptation to climate change. Presentation to the conference V&A to climate change, Johannesburg, South Africa, May 2003
2002 International experience in economic valuation of environmental impacts. Presentation at the EIA Workshop, School of Environmental Sciences, Renmin University, Beijing, Nov.2002.
2001 Strategic Environmental Assessment in World Bank Operations, World Bank, Washington DC, March 2001 (with Olav Kjorven)
2001 Strategic Environmental Assessment in developing countries, IAIA Annual Conference, Cartagena, Columbia, June 2001. Poster presentation