Publications and projects from 2005-
Google Citations Profile. h-index last five years: 10 (i.e., 10 papers have at least 10 citations).
See separate link for reports, theses etc from 1998-2005.
Homepage at NINA.
Peer-reviewed publications (published or in process):
15. Lindhjem, H. and S. Navrud (2012-13) "Reliability of meta-analytic benefit transfers of international value of statistical life estimates: Tests and illustrations". Chapter for the book entitled "Benefit Transfer of Environmental and Resource Values: A Handbook for Researchers and Practitioners". The co-editors are Robert Johnston, John Rolfe, Randall Rosenberger and Roy Brouwer. To be published by Springer. Forthcoming 2013.
14. Barton, D. and H. Lindhjem (2012) "Nature's flood protection - what is the value of ecosystem services from a watershed?" (In Norwegian). Forthcoming in Special Issue on Natural Capital and Ecosystem services of Samfunnsøkonomen, the peer-review Journal of the Norwegian Economics Association. May, 2013.
13. Lindhjem, H. and Y. Mitani (2011-12) "Forest owners’ willingness to accept compensation for voluntary conservation: A contingent valuation approach". Journal of Forest Economics 18(4): 290-302. Special Issue on "Forest Non-Market Valuation". Editors: Giovanni Signorello, Jürgen Meyerhoff and Richard Moloney. Paper part funded by the POLICYMIX project - also issued in the POLICYMIX working paper series. Revised version submitted 26. May 2012.
12. Lindhjem, H. and S. Pedersen (2011-2012) "Should publicly funded postal services be reduced? A cost-benefit analysis of the universal service obligation in Norway". Working paper 2. November 2011. Published in Review of Network Economics: Vol. 11: Iss. 2, Article 3, June 2012.
and T. H. Tuan (2011) "Valuation of species and nature conservation in Asia and
Economics and Policy Studies 14(1): 1-22. Based on
the working paper: "Meta-analysis
of nature conservation values in Asia & Oceania: Data heterogeneity and
benefit transfer issues".
First draft 10. March 2008. Presented by Tuan at EAERE June 2009,
10. Lindhjem, H. and S. Navrud (2011) "Using Internet in Stated Preference Surveys: A review and comparison of survey modes". Review paper invited by editors Jason Shogren, Henk Folmer and Zac Rolnik for the International Review of Environmental and Resource Economics 5(4): 309-351, October 2011. Download published version here.
9. Lindhjem, H., S. Navrud, N-A Braathen and V. Biausque (2011) "Valuing mortality risk reductions from environmental, transport and health policies: A global meta-analysis of stated preference studies". Published in Special Series on Risk Regulation (Part 2): Risk Assessment and Economic Analysis, Risk Analysis 31(9): 1381-1407, September 2011.
7. Vennemo, H., K. Aunan, H. Lindhjem
and H. M Seip (2008) "Environmental pollution in
China: Status and trends". Invited paper. Published in the Review of
Environmental Economics and Policy 3(1): 1-22, Summer, 2009. Symposium:
[Reprint as Chapter 17 in the book by Willis, K. G. and G. Garrod (eds) (2012) Valuing Environment and Natural Resources: Volume I, Edward Elgar, 440 pp].
5. Bartczak, A., H. Lindhjem, S. Navrud, M. Zandersen and T. Zylicz (2007) "Valuing forest recreation on the national level in a transition economy: The case of Poland". Working paper presented by Anna Bartczak at the 16th Annual Conference of the European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, Gothenburg, Sweden, 25 - 28 June 2008. Published in Forest Policy and Economics 10(7-8): 467-472, October 2008.
3. Lindhjem, H. (2006) "20
years of stated preference valuation of non-timber benefits from Fennoscandian forests: A meta-analysis". Working
Paper presented at the 13th Ulvön Conference on
Environmental Economics, 19.-21. June 2006,
2. Lindhjem, H, T. Hu, Z. Ma, J. M. Skjelvik,
G. Song, H. Vennemo, J. Wu and S. Zhang (2006) "Environmental
Economic Impact Assessment in China: Problems and Prospects". ECON
Working Paper May 2006. Presented at the annual conference of the International
Association of Impact Assessment (IAIA) in
Peer-review publications (working papers submitted or in preparation):
16. Lindhjem, H., K. Grimsrud, S. Navrud and S. O. Kolle (2013) "The Social Benefits and Costs of Preserving Forest Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services". Paper presented by Ståle Navrud at the workshop "Forest Sector Modelling and Mulitfunctionality in Forests" at INRA, Nancy, France 31. May - 1. June. Submitted and under review for special issue of Journal of Environmental Economics and Policy. Draft April 2013.
17. Mitani, Y. and H. Lindhjem (2013) "Forest owners' participation in voluntary biodiversity conservation in Norway: What does it take to forego forestry for eternity?". Paper part funded by the EU-funded POLICYMIX project. Second draft March 2013. Presented at UK Network of Environmental Economists: Applied Environmental Economics Conference 15. January 2013. Submitted and under review, April 2013.
18. Lindhjem, H. and R. Brey (2013) "Explaining scope (in)sensitivity in stated preference valuation of forest conservation: Why more may not be (much) better” (Working Title). Supported by the EU COST E45, EUROFOREX-project and the EU project POLICYMIX. Target journal Environmental and Resource Economics or Ecological Economics. In preparation spring/summer 2013.
19. Lindhjem, H. and T. H. Tuan (2013). "Data heterogeneity in meta-analytic benefit transfer" (Working title). Chapter for the book entitled "Handbook of environmental economics in Asia", edited by Professor Managi Shunsuke. To be published by Routledge. Based on an updated and revised version of the working paper: "Meta-analysis of nature conservation values in Asia & Oceania: Data heterogeneity and benefit transfer issues". Scheduled for summer 2013, forthcoming September 2014. In preparation 2013.
20. Lindhjem, H., K. Magnussen, S. Navrud and P. Gudding (2013) "Valuation of coastal ecosystem service damages from oil spills along the Norwegian coast" (Working title). In preparation 2013.
21. Lindhjem, H., Sparrevik, M. and G. Cornelissen (2013) "Cost-benefit and life-cycle analysis of biochar deployment in Indonesia" (Working title). In preparation 2013.
Sparrevik, M., H. Lindhjem, Å. L. Sørensen and G. Cornelissen (2013) "Biochar deployment for climate mitigation and agricultural enhancement in the developing world" (Working title), Paper under development.
Gundersen, V., H. Lindhjem, E. Bergseng and D. Barton (2010-13) "Voluntary forest conservation in Norway – Approach evaluation from the forest owner perspective" (Working title), Paper under development.
Lindhjem, H. and B. Larsen (2011-13) "Benefit transfer anomalies - Issues and remedies" (Working title)
Other research publications (proceedings, editorials, research reports etc):
Romstad, E., M. Boman and H. Lindhjem (2012) “Low cost approaches for managing biological diversity in Nordic forests: The applicability of procurement auctions”. Peer reviewed report to the expert group on environmental studies, Swedish Ministry of Finance. Published on their website.
Editorial, "Norwegian agricultural policy - hope for change?" (In Norwegian), Published in Samfunnsøkonomen ("The Economist"), 7(126):3, October 2012. Journal of the Norwegian Economics Association.
Lindhjem, H., S. Navrud and N-A. Braathen (2012) "Mortality Risk Valuation in Environment, Health and Transport Policies". Published as an OECD book. Available (for purchase) at this website. See also OECD webpage for meta-analysis dataset and accompanying papers/reports.
Editorial, "Wrong priorities in climate and environmental policy" (In Norwegian), Published in Samfunnsøkonomen ("The Economist"), 126(1), February 2012. Journal of the Norwegian Economics Association.
Barton, D, H. Lindhjem, K. Magnussen and S. Holen (2012) "Valuation of Ecosystem Services From Nordic Watersheds - from awareness raising to policy support? (VALUESHED)". Report to the Nordic Council of Ministers, December 2011.
Vatn, A., D. Barton, H. Lindhjem and S. Movik (2011) "Can markets protect biodiversity? A review of different financial mechanisms". Noragric Report No. 60. Norwegian University of Life Sciences and NINA. Funded by NORAD, May 2011 as input to the process of the UN Convention of Biological Diversity. Also published as a NORAD report with foreword by department director Bente Herstad.
Lindhjem, H., E. J. Solberg, J. Linnell and K. Skogen (2010) "Potential effects of carnivore proof fencing for recreation and wild deer" (In Norwegian, abstract in English) – NINA Rapport 611. 29s.
Navrud, S. and H. Lindhjem (2010-11) "Valuing Mortality Risk Reductions in Regulatory Analysis of Environmental, Health and Transport Policies: Policy Implications". PIMAVE - Policy implications of meta-analysis of value of statistical life estimates OECD project report.
Lindhjem, H., V. Biausque,
S. Navrud and N-A Braathen (2010) "Meta-analysis
of stated preference VSL studies: Further model sensitivity and benefit transfer
issues". PIMAVE - Policy implications of meta-analysis of
value of statistical life estimates OECD project. OECD report ENV/EPOC/WPNEP(2010)10/FINAL.
N. A., H. Lindhjem and S. Navrud (2008-2010) "Valuing lives saved through
environmental, transport and health policies: A Meta-analysis of stated
preference studies". Published as OECD Report.ENV/EPOC/WPNEP(2008)10. Working paper version
presented at the conference "Managing the Social Impacts of Change from a
Risk Perspective", 15.-17. April 2009 in
Econ Poyry & Warsaw
Ecological Economics Centre (eds)
(2009) Proceedings from
the international seminar: "Countries and
forests in transition: Research seminar on the benefits of multi-functional
forest policy" (10 meg),
H. (2008) "Methodological
issues in meta-analysis, benefit transfer and environmental valuation",
Ph.D. Thesis. 2008:18. Department of Economics and Resource Management,
Bartczak, A, H. Lindhjem
and A. Stenger (2008) "Review of benefit transfer
studies in the forest context".
Published in Scandinavian Forest Economics No. 42., Bergseng, E., G. Delbeck
and H. F. Hoen (eds)
(2009) Proceedings of the Biennial
Meeting of the Scandinavian Society of Forest Economics,
Hansen, S., H. Lindhjem and H. Vennemo (2004) "On payments to poor stakeholders for sustainable use of protected areas". Book chapter in Xie Yan, Wang Sung and Peter Schei (ed.) China's Protected Areas, Beijing, Tsinghua University Press, 604p (Chinese and English versions).
Recent policy analysis and consultancy reports:
Magnussen, K., H. Lindhjem, C. Armstrong, H. Bergland, E. Mikkelsen, R. Reinvang og J. M. Skjelvik (2013) "Ecosystem services in the Barents Sea and Lofoten: Social values and trade-offs". Vista Report
Magnussen, K., H. Lindhjem and J. M. Skjelvik (2012) "Costs of marine degradation in the North Sea and Skagerrak" (in Norwegian), Vista Report 2012/38. Report for the public committee on the value of ecosystem services in Norway.
Lindhjem, H. and M. D. Sørheim (2012) "Urban ecosystem services in Norway: Status, trends, value and knowledge gaps" (In Norwegian), Vista Report 2012/37. Report for the public committee on the value of ecosystem services in Norway.
Lindhjem, H. and K. Magnussen (2012) "The value of Norwegian forest ecosystem services" (in Norwegian), NINA Report 894. Report for the public committee on the value of ecosystem services in Norway.
Pedersen, S., H. Lindhjem and I. Rasmussen (2012) "Benefits and costs of high speed broadband in rural Norway" (in Norwegian). Report for the Ministry of Local Government and Regional Development.
Dalen, D. M., M. Hoel and S. Strøm, with H. Lindhjem (2011) "Valuation of ecosystem services" (in Norwegian). Report to the Norwegian Petroleum Directorate. Vista Report 2012/08.
Pedersen, S., H. Lindhjem and K. Ibenholt (2011) "Cost benefit analysis of Austevoll fishery harbour" (in Norwegian). Report to the Norwegian Coastal Administration ("Kystverket"). Vista report.
Magnussen, K., H. Lindhjem and S. Navrud (2012) "How to handle impacts on marine ecosystem services in economic analysis?" (in Norwegian). Report to the Norwegian Coastal Administration ("Kystverket"). Vista report 2012/09.
Econ Pöyry and Vista (2010) "Public needs for universal postal services in Norway" (In Norwegian). Norwegian Post and Telecommunications Authority.
Ibenholt, K., H. Lindhjem, J. M. Skjelvik, I. Rasmussen, H. Vennemo and H. Dybdahl (2010) "Cost-benefit analysis of petroleum development in the Barentshavet/Lofoten Sea" (In Norwegian), for the an inter-Ministerial group lead by the Norwegian Ministry of Environment. Vista rapport 10/2010. Also published on the Ministry of Environment's webpages.
Lindhjem, H., K. G. Bråten , A. Gleinsvik and I. Aronsen (2009/10) "Experiences with benefit sharing: Issues and options for REDD-plus". Report for International Union for Conservation of Nature for discussion at COP 15, Copenhagen December, 2009. Published as Econ Pöyry and Vista report R-2010-018. Access IUCN website for the publication here. Short summary brochure.
Aronsen, I. and H. Lindhjem (2010) "Experiences with forest benefit sharing and issues for REDD-plus in Cameroon". Poyry and Vista report Pöyry and Vista report R-2010-09.
Aronsen, I., H. Lindhjem and K. G. Bråten (2010) "Experiences with forest benefit sharing and issues for REDD-plus in Ghana". Pöyry and Vista report R-2010-010.
Aronsen, I. and H. Lindhjem (2010) "Experiences with forest benefit sharing and issues for REDD-plus in Guatemala". Pöyry and Vista report R-2010-011.
Zandersen, M., K. G. Bråten and H. Lindhjem (2009) "Payment for and Management of Ecosystem Services: Issues and Options in the Nordic Context". Nordic Council of Ministers. TemaNord 2009:571.
Lindhjem, H., J. M. Skjelvik, A. Eriksson, T. Fitch and L-L. P Hansen (2009) "The Use of Economic Instruments in Nordic Environmental Policy 2006-2009". Nordic Council of Ministers. TemaNord 2009:578.
Kjørven, O. and H. Lindhjem (2002) "Strategic Environmental Assessment in World Bank Operations: Experience to date and Future potential", Environmental Strategy Papers. Strategy Series Number 4, The World Bank Environment Department. Also available from these links at the World Bank (1) and (2) (scanned version). Key document in the World Bank efforts to use Strategic Environmental Assessment in its operations.
Vennemo, H, N. Heldal, H. Lindhjem and S. Strøm (2013) “Comment to the public committee report NOU 2012: 16 on economic analysis”, Published in Samfunnsøkonomen 1: 59-66.
Bruvoll, A. and H. Lindhjem (2012) "Subsidised damage to the environment" (In Norwegian), Fjell og Vidde, November 2012. The journal of the Norwegian Trekking Association (DNT).
Lindhjem, H., S. Pedersen and I. Rasmussen (2012) "Avoid costly fiber investments" (In Norwegian). Innlegg. Dagens Næringsliv, 22. May, 2012.
Lindhjem, H., S. Pedersen and I. Rasmussen (2012) "Low benefits of high speed broadband" (In Norwegian). Innlegg. Dagens Næringsliv, 7. May, 2012.
Lindhjem, H. (2010) "Sharing monetary benefits from forests - conflict or cooperation?" Aborvitae (the newsletter of International Union for the Conservation of Nature), Issue 41, page 7, June, 2010.
Vennemo, H. K. Aunan, H. Lindhjem and H. M Seip (2007) "Thousands die from pollution in China" ("Tusener dør av forurensing i Kina"). Kronikk. Dagbladet 1. mars 2007.
Unpublished working papers:
Lindhjem, H. and
Aunan, K., M. Cropper, G. Xiaomin, S. A. Hoffman, A. Krupnick, H. Lindhjem, B. Larsen, J. Nygård, H-M Seip, T. S. Rabie, H. Vennemo, Y. Fang, and Z. Guomei, (2007) "The Cost of Air and Water Pollution in China". Draft August/September 2007.
Lindhjem, H. (2007) "Contracts for Coral Reef Conservation". Draft February 2007.
Bowitz, E. and H. Lindhjem (2001) Environmental costs, systematic risk and energy investment priorities, ECON Working Paper. Norwegian Research Council. RAMBU. Research Project.
Lindhjem, H. (2005) Review of environmental
unit prices for air and water pollution - with applications to
Some recent research projects & proposals (see CV for updated list)
"Cost-benefit analysis of the application of biochar in soils in Asia - a win-win for climate and agriculture?" with Norwegian Geotechnical Institute (NGI) (lead). Funded by the Norwegian Research Council.
"VALUESHEDS - Valuation of Ecosystem Services from Nordic Watersheds", Nordic Council of Ministers project (2011). In cooperation with NIVA and SWECO.
"POLICYMIX - Assessing the role of economic instruments in policy mixes for biodiversity conservation and ecosystem services provision. 4 year EU research project (2010-2014) coordintated by Norwegian Institute for Nature Research (NINA). In cooperation with institutions in Europe and Latin America.
"PIMAVE - Policy implications of meta-analysis of value of statistical life estimates". OECD project with Stale Navrud, Nils Axel Braathen and V. Biausque.
"Scaling up Voices for influencing post 2012 climate change regime: Shaping pro-poor REDD options", Proposal with the International Union for the Conservation of Nature (Consuelo Espinosa, Stewart Maginnis) and The Forest Dialogue (Gary Dunning, Yale University). May 2009-May 2011. Awarded grant for 2009 by NORAD.
"Payment and management of ecosystem services",
Nordic Council of Ministers, January 2009-October 2009, With
Joshua Bishop (Chief economist, IUCN) and Nick Hanley
"Economic instruments in environmental policy in the Nordic countries 2006-2009”, Nordic Council of Ministers October 2008 – October 2009, Ongoing project with Professor Jon Strand (University of Oslo and the World Bank), Anni H. Huhtala (Professor of Environmental Economics, MTT Economic Research, Finland) and Nils Axel Braathen (OECD).
"Controlling benthic release of phosphorus in
"Managing biological diversity in Nordic forests", The Swedish Expert Group on environmental studies. With Eirik Romstad and Mattias Boman. August 2008 – April 2008.
"Meta-analysis of estimates of the value of a statistical life", OECD (Nils Axel Braathen). With Ståle Navrud. April 2008 - August 2009.
"Valuation of environment-related
health impacts for children (VERHI) ", OECD
(Nick Johnstone). With
Ståle Navrud, Anna Alberini, Ian Bateman,
"Research seminar on the benefits of efficient multi-functional forest policy", Co-organised with Anna Bartczak, Mikolaj Czajkowski, and Thomasz Zylicz. Program. Funded by the Polish-Norwegian research fund. Proceedings published (see above).
"Forests as a Public Good: Valuing Social and
Environmental Benefits of Forests in Poland to Improve Effectiveness of
Management", with Warsaw University (Anna Bartczak,
Mikolaj Czajkowski, Thomasz Zylicz and others), Econ Pöyry (Haakon Vennemo,
Marianne Zandersen et. al), Norwegian University of
Life Sciences (Ståle Navrud)
and others. Accepted for funding by the EEA
Financial Mechanism supporting project cooperation between
"Ecosystem functions in forests". Research project combining natural and social sciences as a basis
for better management of biodiversity. Conducting
national survey of forest owners’ attitudes and willingness to accept
compensation for participating in auctions to provide forests for biodiversity
"Non-timber forest goods and local economic development: An untapped potential?" Norwegian Research Council project, 2006-2008. With ECON and others.
"Capacity building for reducing mercury pollution in
"Willingness to Pay for biodiversity in
"Governance analysis of biodiversity